Congratulations, you saved up enough money to design/build a new home; now the degree of your involvement with the construction phase is up to you. The time that you have, your interests, and abilities can help you decide how to transform your vision into reality. Building a house requires more than putting pieces together; whoever is in charge of the process must manage people as well as tools, materials and construction. The person in charge will have to:
- Make a project schedule to plan and organize progress of work.
- Establish a budget for each category of work.
- Arrange for a source of construction financing.
- Get a building permit and post it noticeably at the construction site.
- Line up supply sources and order materials.
- Find subcontractors and negotiate their contracts.
- Coordinate the work so it runs smoothly, with few conflicts.
- Notify inspectors at the appropriate milestones.
- Make payments to suppliers and subcontractors.
You may decide to act as your own custom home designer, or to hire someone to handle the design and construction for you; clear, concise communication with your chosen contractor is a must to achieve your desired results. You will need to work closely with the contractor that you chose to ensure that the correct materials, dimensions, and deadlines will be met. A good builder or general contractor can manage every aspect of your construction process, allowing to sit back and relax while your dream home is being erected.
Contact us for more information.